Personnel Index - Detail

First Names
Edward Wells
Flight Lieutenant
Service Number
Crew Position
Posting In
Posted in 2/43 and out 2/43


F/L Ticker was wounded in action during his first operation (see lower part of page for details) and was awarded the CGM.

After a period of convalescence, Sgt Tickler was posted to Swinderby where he finally managed to get back on flying.

In early 1944 he formed a new crew and they were posted to 57 Squadron at East Kirkby.

Their 13th trip together was the infamous Nuremberg raid of 30th March 1944 and F/Lt Tickler's Lancaster was brought down by an ME 110 night fighter. The Lancaster, serial: ND 622 DX-E was named 'The Jampot and 7 Raspberries' because Ed was a member of the Tickler Jam Company family.

Three members survived including Ed Tickler, who became a POW in Stalag Luft 1 at Barth.


Extract is from Bill Chorley's Bomber Command Losses

Image courtesy of Deb Flemming (neice of Sgt M.G Webb)

26th December 1942
Jack Matthews - navigator
George Silvester - rear gunner
Art Davies - mid upper gunner
Maurice Webb - wireless operator
Dennis Downing - flight engineer
Ed Tickler - pilot
Ted Lowans - bomb aimer

Image courtesy of Deb Flemming (neice of Sgt M.G Webb)

An undated photograph
Ted Lowans - bomb aimer
Maurice Webb - W.A.G
Ted Tickler - pilot
W.A. Davies - rear gunner
Jack Matthews - navigator

via John Ward

The picture shows members of Eddie Tickler's crew of 57 Sqn at East Kirkby. Tickler went back to a HCU for 'R&R' after his 49 Sqn experiences but eventually went back on operations.

Wounded in action:

27/28 February, 1943...........FRISIAN ISLANDS (MINELAYING)

At 10.00hrs Group requested one aircraft for a gardening sortie off the Frisian Islands. A new crew piloted by Sgt Ed Tickler (ED434) was given the task and took-off from Fiskerton at 18.59hrs on this, their first operation. Sgt Tickler had flown in this same aircraft to Cologne the previous evening, as 2nd dickie to S/Ldr Couch.

On arriving in the target area, Sgt Tickler’s aircraft, now flying at low level, was engaged by gunfire from a flak-ship. The Lancaster's gunners returned fire in an attempt to silence the ship's guns, but during this exchange the aircraft rear turret was slightly damaged . The crew pressed-on in poor visibility but ran into searchlights and more light-flak; this time the Lancaster received numerous hits in the cockpit, port wing and again in the rear turret.

In the encounter the flight engineer, Sgt Downing received severe head injuries which were to prove fatal. The pilot had been hit in the shoulder and his left side and momentarily lost control of the aircraft. Fortunately control was soon regained with the assistance of the navigator, Sgt Matthews. Despite this damage the crew managed to carry out their duties and dropped the mines in the correct place. It was only after carrying out the task that Sgt Tickler informed the crew of his injuries.

Whilst Sgt Lowens, the bomb aimer, helped fly the aircraft, Sgt Webb, the wireless operator, gave the pilot first-aid and tried to help the dying flight engineer. After crossing the Lincolnshire coast near North Coates, the crew spotted the small grass airfield at RAF Donna Nook. With the assistance of his crew, Sgt Tickler made a good landing, but then collapsed with exhaustion over the controls.

The Lancaster swung off the grass runway and struck a military vehicle that had come to the aid of the stricken aircraft. The unfortunate flight engineer, Sgt D Downing, sadly died from the injuries he received.

For their actions this night Sgt Edward Wells Tickler received the Conspicuous Gallantry Medal; Sgt's J.L. Mathews RCAF, G.J. Lowans RCAF and G.B. Silvester the DFM and Sgt's M.G. Webb RCAF and W.A. Davies were Mentioned in Despatches. The Lancaster involved, ED434, was repaired and rejoined the squadron.